Thursday, May 10, 2007

Prchmnt Papr


I feel moved to post on parchmnt papr. You might be wondering why....what's the big deal? Or you might be wondering....has she finally crossed over to the suburban/domesticated dark side? Are issues of baking taking precedence in her mind over issues of world importance like global warming or peace on earth? Well not exactly. World issues are important for sure but everybody writes about those.

So ever since I started cooking/baking I have heard mention of this prchmnt papr. But every time I walked by it in the grocery store I thought.....do I really need this? I've been known to try and stretch a dollar and couldn't justify the $4.00 it would cost. Seeing as how I've spent approximately $58,000 on groceries in the last eight years it seems a little silly in retrospect to have resisted buying it.

Anyway, after a batch of scalloped potatoes left me scrubbing a pan for days I decided to give prchmnt paper a try. It's amazing. I should have been using it for years. Pans come out clean, cookies slide right off and frozen foods separate beautifully. A little thing can make a big difference. So if you haven't tried it.......splurge......

1 comment:

The Allen Family said...

Let's talk about Parchment.......
Vegetable (paper) parchment is made by acid treatment of high density paper. Applications include cooking and baking (cooking parchment, baking parchment). To avoid sticking to foods, silicone and other coatings can be applied to parchment.
A common use is to eliminate the need to grease cookie sheets and the like allowing very rapid turn-around of batches of cookies in a commercial bakery. It can also be folded to make moisture-proof packages in which food items are cooked or steamed.

Also ... City of Parchment in Maine.

The City of Parchment traces its beginnings to the founding of the Kalamazoo Vegetable Parchment Company in 1909. The Company was started by Jacob Kindleberger in an old sugar beet factory on the bank of the Kalamazoo River a few miles north of Kalamazoo. The company made parchment paper and hence the City's name of Parchment.

Update Dec2020

My Guy A My Guy E School Rooms at Home Deck the Halls It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas