I had a moment of concern last night that I might be raising Conservative Neanderthals.
It came about as we were talking as a family about buying a mega-yacht. (Don't ask.)
And we were teasing M about what he would give up to have one.
So I, being the fool, said, "If you could choose between me and a mega-yacht which would you pick?" (I know....what can I say....I was fishing for a compliment.)
M, being smart, said, "Of course I'd choose you."
And then E said, "Well ya'. If you got rid of mom who would clean your mega-yacht?"
Blink. Pause. Laughter.
Do you see the problem? In his mind-->mom=cleaning. I'm not sure that's a good thing.
I wanted to provide my kids with a consistent and nurturing environment in which to develop. To reduce stress on my husband and I during these busy years of having children. And to leave my parenting years with no regrets about missed moments or opportunities.
But is a by-product of this giving my children an overly 'traditional' (as if there really ever was or is a 'traditional'..but you get the idea) view of the world? Moms cook and clean? Dads make money? Will their future wives curse my name?