Friday, October 26, 2007

A Nurse I Am Not

Well thankfully we made it through to the other side of the boys flu. E has a nagging cough that will probably hang around until May but otherwise is back in perfect form. A is about a day and a half behind him. But they were definitely well enough to go to GrnnyGrndd's for a sleep-over tonight.
I'm sure almost all of you have heard this story before but I'll retell it to illustrate how I lack the skills required to give loving care and attention to those who are sick. I just don't like sick people. They annoy me. I just want them to go away until they are healthy and happy. I try to be gentle and caring but it's just not my thing. I blame my mother and she knows why..........

So here's the all-time worst story about me and sickness. Just over a year ago M returned home from 4 months in Afghnstn. The day after he arrived home he started vomiting violently and often. He was crawling around upstairs where I asked him to keep his disgusting germs away from the rest of the family. He moaned downstairs that he needed me to take him to the hospital. So I say, "Are you serious? Seriously?"
But he wants to go, so I drive him. I lovingly tell him while we are driving to the emergency room that he had better be REALLY sick. Because if he just has some silly(not the actual word used) flu and he is dragging me out to the hospital when I was totally overwhelmed with about a million other things to do then I will be seriously pissed. Once we arrive at the hospital we are informed that he will have to get i.v. anti-nauseau medications and fluids. Apparently he is very dehydrated, ill and at risk of seisures..blah blah. So I said to the nurse,"He'll be here a while right?" Then I say to my sweet husband, "Take a cab home if you are released in the middle of the night because I don't want you to call and wake me up to come and get you." I know.....cold.
It ended up he was in hospital for 2 or 3 days until he was well enough to come home and help me out with all the craziness we had going on. After several weeks I did however tell him that I had forgiven him for getting sick and leaving me holding the bag so to speak. He had no comment.
So now you see why this week has been long for me. The kids were sick and it is NOT my thing. But they are better now and all is looking up. Back to party time next week. YAHOO!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok you told me you were cold but damn girl that was REALLY cold!

Are you sure that M has forgiven you???

I'm sure your great wifey and mommy skills more than make up for it in other departments!

liz

Update Dec2020

My Guy A My Guy E School Rooms at Home Deck the Halls It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas