Sunday, August 12, 2012

1812

We were at the War Museum today. Here I am, Laura Secord of course!!, with 2 handsome British soldiers. With my special information we captured this equally handsome Yankee.

Then we looked at some other war stuff. I've got to be honest with you this is not my favourite museum.
   The first issue is that everything needs to be explained. And so I spend the whole time trying to quick read all the plaques to give them an explanation of what we're looking at. At some museums you can give them the general idea and they read the info as we go along but this museum is very text heavy. And unless you read the details it doesn't interest.

The 1812 exhibit is a case in point. It has four different sections to tell the four perspectives of the war. So each has uniform, assorted weapons, medals, maps and sundry items from the battlefield. Well unless you read the many many plaques all over the walls, it just looks like the same thing four times over.
   The second issue is that some of the exhibits are scary to the boys. The video of men with shell shock, the half-sunken body sculpture in the WW2 area, the diagram of how schrapnel enters and exits a leg wound, the graphic photos in the main lobby. For my guys...it's too much.

I was beyond happy tonight when E asked if he could play Scrabble with us. Could there be another Scrabble player in the house? Could I be that lucky?

No comments:

Update Dec2020

My Guy A My Guy E School Rooms at Home Deck the Halls It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas