Saturday, August 18, 2012

False Democracy

We have had a system in place for years wherein each household member is accorded a vote in decision making.

Typically, M gets 15 votes as do I. The kids each get 5 votes. This worked quite well for a long time until the kids realized it wasn't truly a fair democracy.
I like to use the term benevolent dictatorship.

But still, they participated in our family democracy because sometimes they could convince once of us to change sides. And sometimes they could get a family visitor to throw their vote behind their cause.

Today after a losing round of voting at the grocery store they were fuming. And after talking amongst themselves while we paid, they announced they would no longer participate AT ALL in our pretend democracy.

"Completely understandable", I said. "Many a citizen has become angry when they realize their vote doesn't truly count, that they are subject to the decisions of their leaders.

Later in the day I noticed E working on the whiteboard in the diningroom but didn't think anything of it. Until he turned it towards the kitchen and showed it to me.

I love this drawing so much I can barely stand it. Look at the facial expressions! The placards! The figures at the top holding newspapers! The indistinguishable mob of people! I love that even though it's a spelling error the word 'mock' is in democracy on the poster!
I love it I love it I love it



No comments:

Update Dec2020

My Guy A My Guy E School Rooms at Home Deck the Halls It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas