Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Way Too Long

It has been way too long since I posted. Here is a brief recap..............

On Saturday it took my sorority sisters and I about six and a half hours to make 60 dozen perogies. At the end of the day we split them up and I can't wait to enjoy mine.



On Sunday night we went to the Watoto choir and then brought home our charges for the next 36 hours. The trains and the air hockey table were both huge hits!!! And the boys, all four of them, were extremely well behaved. My two loved having older boys in the house to play with. The boy with the big smile is David and the one with the more subdued approach is Moses. A wore Moses' flip-flops quite a bit while they were here. I wish we could have kept them longer. But they have work to do and a home to go back to in Africa.
It was a real conflicted feeling for me with them. I am glad they get the opportunity to travel and meet new people but also there was a sense that I felt they could be taken advantage of in a certain sense. They perform six days a week and stay at a different house every night. They have no toys to bring along with them and are separated from their adopted families. I didn't want to be taking lots of pics of them and asking them personal questions as if they were somehow travelling entertainment for us. These are real children who have lost both their parents and are trying to become people that can lead their country as they get older. Anyway, I hope that while they were here they had the chance to relax and play like little boys.




And finally today. The boys and I went over to Granny's so they could make Daddy a cake for his birthday today. I was out of energy for baking so Granny took pity on M and offered to help the boys make one. They decorated it amazingly with blue icing and cut out submarines and fish and sharks. I think M will love it. Well that's about all that's new. Whew.

5 comments:

Jenn said...

Wow, looks amazing. What fun for your boys to have had these experiences.

Anonymous said...

What great pictures. I had been looking for a couple of days and no pictures but I did know how busy you were with cooking and visitors. It is always busy over there. Hope MJ had a nice birthday. I was out late last night and too late to call to give birthday wishes.I will call tomorrow and double up on my wishes for a Happy Birthday to MJ and a Happy Valentine's day to all.

Love and kisses, mom/nana

Anonymous said...

What great pictures. I had been looking for a couple of days and no pictures but I did know how busy you were with cooking and visitors. It is always busy over there. Hope MJ had a nice birthday. I was out late last night and too late to call to give birthday wishes.I will call tomorrow and double up on my wishes for a Happy Birthday to MJ and a Happy Valentine's day to all.

Love and kisses, mom/nana

The Allen Family said...

Perogies, Special Guest and Birthday Cake.... does it get any better than that!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Perogie making with a group of women friends sounds like such a fun idea. Can you pass on the recipe? I'd like to try to get something like that happening here. Thanks for the inspiration!
3livingstones

Update Dec2020

My Guy A My Guy E School Rooms at Home Deck the Halls It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas